Although the origin of Tiger Meet is a bit fuzzy, it appears to have started with the 79th and No 74 squadron RAF getting together for some whiskey and cheer in 1960. In 1961 the meeting was continued, with the addition of the French EC 1/12, and so the NATO Tiger Association was born. In 1962 then Lt Mike Dugan volunteered as project officer. Li Dugan, never one to let authority corrupt fighter pilot activities, decided it should be a true “NATO Tiger Day“. He therefore sent letters directly to all the tigers for which he found an address. A number of units immediately accepted but returned their reply “through channels “. This of course resulted in all the HQs (USAFE, 3rd AF, and the 20th Wg) descending on the 79th with “requests” as to what the hell we thought we were doing. Mike’s program won the WgCo’s support and they, in turn convinced Hqs that NATO Tigers was possible. About this same time a London paper headlined an article, “IRON CROSSES OVER SUFFOLK” or something close. I then got a call from an RAF friend at Fighter Command. It was a “friendly consultation” about “Yank” ignorance. It seems that at that time no German military aircraft were allowed near the UK. He had just spent the day unruffling the feathers of the Prime Minister’s press office. He’d indicated to the PR boys that both the RAF and other NATO forces were involved and a refusal of the German forces would be difficult. The result was a limited and somewhat miffed consent.
USAFE also approved with file usual admonition that nothing bad better happen. After such a bumpy start, Mike’s planning and drive got everything on track and with the help of a world of people it became a success. A couple of other events colored that gathering. We had a motley assortment of tiger emblems, but the spirit was there.
The French brought a large transport loaded with ammo boxes for the various competitions. When opened, most of the boxes contained champagne! The Biggin Hill 'Tiger Moth Club” almost invited themselves. This turned out to be a lucky move, since weather on the flyby day was about 400 ft in heavy rain. Not to be discouraged -the Moths took off in flights of three and four to do flybys and low level acrobatics. A weird day.' We don ’t know the author of that piece, but we do know that Mike Dugan went on to become a four star general and chief of staff, USAF. The moral of the story is obvious. Squadron level enthusiasm, planning, and the ability to get things done (with the kind assistance and authorization of HQ) leads to success. Tiger spirit has been a key ingredient throughout our history. (The story was found amongst some old papers from the 79 TFS/ credits www.natotigers.org)
Austrian AF Full Member: Jet Trainer Squadron
In 1961 the 1st Fighter-Bomber Squadron equipped with the SAAB J-29 F aircraft "Fliegende Tonne" (Flying Ton) was established at Wien/ Schwechtat. In 1962 the Sqn. was relocated at Linz/
In the course of the 1963 reorganization the 1st Fighter-Bomber Sqn. was renamed 1st Fighter-Bomber Wing comprising two squadrons. The 1st Sqn. was tasked with ground attack and air surveillance, the 2nd Sqn. with reconnaissance and air surveillance. In 1966 a 3rd Sqn. was created, whose tasks included training and utility sorties with Vampire aircraft and as of 1969 also with Cessna L-19. In 1968 the 2nd Sqn. was relocated at Graz/ Thalerhof. In 1970 the replacement of the Vampire and the J-29 F by the jet aircraft Saab J-105OE got underway and was completed by 1972. In 1976 the Austrian Air Division underwent new restructuring with the result that the 2nd Sqn. was assigned to the Air Surveillance Wing and the 3rd Sqn. was renamed 2nd Sqn., being responsible for reconnaissance. Since 1985 the Fighter-Bomber Wing has also taken on the responsibility of basic jet training.
Due to structural adaptation efforts in 1995 the Fighter-Bomber Wing was turned into the 3rd Sqn. attached to Air Regiment 3 at Linz/ Hörsching. Since then the 3rd Sqn. has carried out basic and advanced jet training as well as air surveillance tasks. The reorganisation of the Austrian Armed Forces led to another change in the squadron. For two months the unit was assigned as 3rd Sqn. to the 2nd Flying Regiment. But from September 2006 they are the Düsentrainerstaffel (Jet Trainer Squadron) assigned to the Überwachungsgeschwader (Fighter Wing). (credits www.natotigers.org)
Belgian AF Full Member: 31st Smaldeel
31st Smaldeel was established on 01st October 1951 at Beauvechain. The same year it moved to Chiévres to form the 10 Wing. The squadron flew some 151 missions on the Spitfire XIV. The last flight
on this aircraft took place on 07th July 1952. From this time there were no more aircraft assigned to the Sqn, and the pilots were divided between No 23 and No 27 Squadron.
On 01st September 1953, 31st Smaldeel was reformed, and was assigned for "Instrument Flight" on the Lockheed T-33. By that time the first F-84G "Thunderjet" arrived, and taken to the air on 29th October 1953. By the end of 1955 the T-33 was taken out of service. In this period 31st Smaldeel was relocated several times. Finally on 01st February 1955 they were located at Kleine Brogel, where they still are today. In 1956 the "Thunderjet" was replaced by the F-84F "Thunderstreak". On this aircraft the pilots flew a total of 37000 hours. On 19th July 1962, 31st Smaldeel Tiger took for the first time part at a "TIGER-Meet" in Woodbridge (GB). On 09th March 1964 the pilots began their conversion to F-104G "Starfighter", and this with great success. 31 Tiger Pilot "Aerts François" flew The Last Starfighter (FX-99) to Storage at Koksijde on 26th September 1983. By this time the Belgian Air Force is fully operational on the F-16 "Fighting Falcon". One year later 31st Smaldeel won the Silver Tiger Trophy. In September 1997 The Tigers From "Tree-One" exceeded 1000 hours in an F-16 over the territory of Bosnia.
In 2002 the squadron grew in strength when a part of their life long foe's (23 Squadron 'Devils') Joined up with 31st Smaldeel after their squadron was disbanded. This also resulted in the arrival of the first Mid Life Updated F-16's. The aircraft on which they are now fully operational. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Czech AF Full Member: 221st Squadron
The 231 LtBVr (231 Squadron) of the 23ZVrL (23 Wing) is currently based at the Military airfield of Prerov. The Unit operates the MIL Mi-24V Hind, one of the latest versions of this more than capable combat / transport Helicopter. Established in 1995, when all Czech Hind squadrons where relocated to Prerov to form the 33rd Wing. 331 Squadron inherited the Traditions of the 1st Squadron / 51st Regiment. In 2001 the Prerov "Tigers" where officially accepted as a full member of the NATO Tiger Association, and won the Silver Tiger Trophy (a trophy rewarded to the best crew during the annual NATO Tiger Meet) in 2002. Due to some money saving re-structuring in the Czech Air Force 33Wing was renumbered 23Wing and 331 Sqn changed to 231 Sqn. In 2008 231Sqn moved from Prerov to Namest AB, and was relocated to the 22nd Wing, This transfer led to another change in designation from 231 Sqn to 221 Sqn. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Czech AF Full Member: 211th Tactical Sqn.
The predecessor of the current 211th Tactical Squadron, the 41st Fighter Squadron was established on 01st January 1995 during the reorganization process of the CZAF. The Tactical Squadron started
its operational service from Caslav AFB where, at that time the 28th Fighter Bomber Wing was located. The Squadron continues the traditions of the 1st Squadron of the 11th Regiment, operating
from Kbely, Cheb and Zatec airfield since 1951. The unit has been flying various MiG and Aero fighter and trainer.
In 1991 the unit was invited as observer to the 30th Tiger Meet, hosted at RAF Fairford (U.K.), two years later the Squadron was voted to become a honorary member of the NATO Tiger Association. On their move to Caslav in 1995 the Squadron was equipped with MiG-23ML’s and L-39’s, and flew these aircraft until December 1998, when the MiG-23’s where withdrawn from service, and the unit was re-equipped with MiG-21MF. On 01st December 2003 the designation was changed to 211th Tactical Squadron. When in July 2005 the MiG-21’s where withdrawn from a long service with the Czechoslovak and Czech Republic Air Forces, the 211th entered the 21st century with a brand new 4th generation jet fighter the SAAB JAS-39C/D Gripen. This meant that the unit could now fully integrate into NATINEADS (NATO Integrated Extended Air Defence Systems). With full flying participation in a Tactical Leadership program (TLP) and the NATO Tiger Meet in 2008, the latter leading to Probational Membership status, a new step forward to Full NTA Membership. On the arrival day for NATO Tiger Meet 2010, on which 211 Sqn participated with 4 Gripens, they where awarded Full Membership status. This encouraged the Czech tigers even more, and at the closing ceremony of the same event, they where presented with the Silver Tiger Trophy. (credits www.natotigers.org)
French Aeronavale Full Member: Flotille 11F
The Flotille 11F was created in October 1921 and it is the oldest and most prestigious Squadron in the French Marine Nationale. In 1940, the Squadron participated in the Battle of France from May
to June flying Dewoitine D-520. After the Armistice the Squadron flew down to North Africa and initially became stationed at Karouba, later they moved to Casablanca and Port Lyaute. The French
Fleet Air Arm was disbanded and all pilots from the Flottille were transferred to the French Air Force flying the Bell P-39 Aircobra and the Republic P-47 Thunderbold. When hostilities finished
in 1945 the squadron revived and began to fly the Seafire. From 1950 to 1954 the 11th Flottille carried out two campaigns in Indochina achieving 344 war missions and 950 flying hours in the F-6F
Hellcat. In 1955 the Flottille fought in North Africa flying the Aquilon. In 1960 the Flotilla was assigned to the French Aircraft Carrier "Clemenceau". April 1st, 1963 was the day the Flotille
received the brand new aircraft, built by Marcel Dassault for carrier ops. the "Etandard IV M".
In 1967 the Flotille left hyeres to be stationed at Landivisiau, this is today still the home base of Flotille 11F. In 1978, the "Etandard" was replaced by its more capable successor the "Super-Etandard". which still is the operational aircraft at this time. The Flotille 11F does not have a tiger in their crest, however the Clemenceau carried the tiger crest when they where admitted to the NTA. When in 1997 the "Clemenceau" retired from service the Squadron was allowed to keep their tiger-status for they had shown true tiger spirit in past years. Currently Flotille 11F uses the French Aircraft Carrier "Charles De Gaulle" for its off base operations, the carrier was the home from which the squadron operated in the Kosovo crisis. Flotille 11F is awaiting the arrival of the Aeronavale's newest aircraft the Dassault "Rafale M". (credits www.natotigers.org)
French AF Disbanded Member: EC01.012
On 28th January 1918 at Corcieux a new Escadrille, SPA 162 'Tigres' was formed, to increase the French Air Power in the 7th Army, equipped with Nieuport. Four months later the Escadrille de Chasse was re-equipped with SPAD aircraft until they where disbanded in 1919. It's already 1952, when the Escadrille reforms to join SPA 89 and form the Escadrille de Chasse 01.012 "Cambresis" operating the MD450 OURAGAN Jet. In course of time the Escadrille received Mystere IV, Super Mystere B2, Mirage F.1C (1977) and since 1992 the Mirage 2000B/C. EC 01.012 were , together with 74 Squadron RAF and 79th TFS USAF, the first members of the NATO Tiger Association. On 30th March 2012, EC 1/12 was disbanded, and the SPA 162 'Tigre' was transfered to EC 1/7 Provence, based at St. Dizier/ Robinson (credits www.natotigers.org)
French AF Full Member: EC01.007
The history of the Escadron de Chasse 1/7 starts in Dijon in 1932. There it received its two Flights SPA 15 and SPA 77, which both can be traced back to World War I. After several years deployed
to North Africa, the squadron took part in the campaign to liberate Corsica and the Provence Landings, where it received its name . At the end of World War II it received the ‘Croix de Guerre
After a period of flying captured Nakajima ki-43 "Hayabusa" fighter planes they transitioned to the Mistral and later the Mystére IV. In 1962 the Squadron was relocated to Nancy-Ochey, In 1973 the squadron was the first to be outfitted with the SEPECAT Jaguar and was again relocated to it’s current base BA 113 Saint-Dizier. Flying the Jaguar, the Sqn took part in various combat missions, such as the Gulf War (1990-1991) and Bosnia. In December 1996 the squadron received it’s 3rd flight, SPA 91. In 2005 the Jaguars where retired, and the Rafale introduced in service. The unit was frequently deployed to Afghanistan from 2007 to 2011, and involved in Libya form the first beginning (first fighter unit of the coalition engaged) to the last days in 2011. In April 2012 a new chapter opens for the Squadron, with the disbandment of EC 1/12 ‘Cambrésis’, the Tiger Flight SPA 162 was transferred to EC 1/7 where it replaced SPA 91. With this change, EC 1/7 inherits the tiger traditions from the Founding Member of The NATO Tiger Association. (credits www.natotigers.org)
French AF Full Member: EC05.330
In 1957 the French Ministry of Defence called into life a new test centre to test and evaluate new aircraft and weapons systems for the French Air force, CEAM 00.330. (Centre d'Experimentations
Aeriennes Militaires 00.330). The new unit's first assignments where to test the first supersonic French aircraft, the Dassault Super Mystere B2, and the first French Air-to-Air missile, the Nord
When in 1959 the Dassault Mirage III entered service the unit was known as the "Mirage Squadron", due to the fact, that the roll of the CEAM 00.330 was expended to become a training centre for pilots and maintenance personnel. In 1965 the Unit was awarded the Fighter squadron status and the current designation EC 05.330 was introduced. During it's existence the squadron tested every new aircraft, fixed wing as well as rotary wing, which was scheduled to be added to the French inventory. (credits www.natotigers.org)
German AF Disbanded Member: JaboG-32
The 1st Squadron of Fighter Bomber Wing 32 (321 Squadron) was set to service in 1958 at Lechfeld Airbase and assigned to NATO in 1959. The first aircraft to be flown on the Lechfeld base was the F-84 Thunderstreak. It's era ended 1966 after 80.000 flying hours. From 1965 until 1984 the legendary F-104 Starfighter flew 200.000 hours on the Lechfeld before the Fighter Bomber Wing 32 started its conversion to the MRCA (Multi Role Combat Aircraft) PA-200 Tornado in the IDS (Interdictor Strike) version. In 1991 a new version of the Tornado was introduced to the Luftwaffe: the ECR (Electronic Combat and Reconnaissance). 321 Squadron was - together with 382 Squadron in Jever - the first operational unit to be equipped with the new aircraft. In 1994 when finally all the systems, sub-systems and software updates were fitted to the aircraft, the conversion was completed. The ECR Tornado is unique in the Luftwaffe. Meanwhile only Fighter Bomber Wing 32 in Lechfeld is equipped with this type of aircraft (and only with the ECR Tornado). Within NATO the aircraft and its mission is no longer unique (as it was after the F-4G Wild Weasel were decommissioned until 1999). Now the 50 Stormo at Piacenza in Italy is also equipped with it. In 1995 ECR Tornados were deployed to Piacenza in Italy, in support of the UN missions for peace on the Balkans. Since then, they formed - together with the Recce Tornados from 51st Recce wing (Immelmann) - the Luftwaffe's Operational Wing No. 1 at Piacenza airbase in Northern Italy. After thousands of flying hours within the framework of UNPROFOR, IFOR and SFOR the Luftwaffe embarked upon its first warlike operation since WW II in March 1999. As part of operation Allied Force to prevent a humanitarian catastrophe in Kosovo, German ECR Tornados were employed from the first night to protect other NATO aircraft from surface to air missiles (SAMs). During all the nights and days while a flight of German ECR Tornados was present over Kosovo, not one single allied aircraft was hit by a Serb SAM. At the end of 2012 JaboG-321 was disbanded, and part of the air and ground crew was transferred together with some of their ECR Tornado's to TaktLwG-51 "Immelmann", based at Schleswig-Jagel. (credits www.natotigers.org)
German AF Full Member: TaktLwG-51 (former AG-51 "I")
The Aufklärungsgeschwader 51 (Reconnaissance Wing) was founded at the Southern base Erding on 7 July 1959. The unit was equipped with 36 Republic RF-84F Thunderflash aircraft from WS50 and took all of these aircraft with them when the first move, on 5 May 1960, was to be completed. Manching was the new home base from this date. The unit was nicknamed "Immelmann" on 21 April 1961. At the end of 1963 AG-51 faced the task of transitioning from the Thunderflash to the RF-104G Starfighter. The unit operated the Starfighter until 1971. By the time the type left the unit a total of 61.390 flying hours were completed on the F-104 Starfighter. From 20 January 1971 the unit was the first Luftwaffe unit to equip with the RF-4E Phantom. By mid-1972 this change was completed and the wing was under NATO-command by that time again. Operating this type the unit achieved some milestones during the years. On 19 April 1977 the unit was the first within NATO to complete 50.000 flying hours without losses. This resembles 39 million flying kilometres. By mid-1982 the unit had flown 100.000 hours on the RF-4E Phantom and reached 250.000 flying hours in total on 25 January 1984. As with sister-unit AG52 the decision was taken to disband AG-51 and dispose off the RF-4E Phantom. The unit was disbanded mid-1993 and re-established on 1 January 1994 at Schleswig-Jagel. From Schleswig-Jagel the unit was to operate the Panavia Tornado in the reconnaissance role. They took over the Tornados of MFG-1 and adopted the unit markings of AG-52 (with a small change to the number the badge was reflecting).From October 1st 2013, the German Air Force renamed All it's units, and from than on, the name Aufklärungsgeschwader (Reconnaissance Wing) was changed to Taktisches Luftwaffengeschwader (Tactical Airwing). (credits www.natotigers.org)
German AF Probationary Member: TaktLwG-74
The Taktisches Luftwaffengeschwader 74, formerly known as Jagdgeschwader 74, took over the NATO Tiger Spirit from the already disbanded JaboG-321, by the end of 2012. In 2013 TaktLwG-74 participated for at least 3 days, during the NATO Tiger Meet 2013 at Orland, already being announced to become a probationary member. It is expected that they will receive the "Full Member" status within the next year; both Squadron then will be representing the Bavarian Tigers, operating the Eurofighter Typhoon!!
NATO/ OTAN Full Member: No.1 Squadron
In the early 1970’s, Studies directed by NATO’s major military commanders showed that an airborne early warning (AEW) radar system would significantly enhance the air defense capabilities of the alliance. In December 1978, the defense planning committee signed a MoU Memorandum of Understanding to buy and operate a NATO-funded AEW system. By this decision, the member nations embarked on NATO’s largest commonly funded acquisition program. NATO’s defense planning committee established the NATO Airborne Early Warning Force (NAEWF) in January 1980 and granted full NATO command headquarters status on October 17th the same year. Today, NAEWF consists of two operational elements: 1. The NATO E-3A Component at Geilenkirchen, Germany, operating 17 Boeing E-3A Sentry (AWACS) aircraft, manned with integrated international crews from 15 nations. 2. The AEW squadron nr. 8 of the RAF located at RAF Waddington, U.K., with seven E-3D aircraft, manned by RAF personel. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Polish AF Full Member: 6th Fighter Squadron
The 6th Fighter Squadron's (6.elt) roots date back to the establishment of the Polish Air Force’s 6th Attack Regiment on 12th October 1944. Based in Bielyj Kolowiec (Former Soviet Union
territory), the regiment was commanded by Lt.Col Edward Wiik and flew the IL-2M3 Sturmovik. At this time the Regiment was equipped with 30 aircraft. The 6th Fighter-Bomber Regiment was
deactivated in 1998 as part of the Polish Air Force’s reorganization. The pilots and aircraft joined the Fitter crews of the 7th Fighter-Bomber Regiment at Powidz airfield.
The Polish Air Force began to downsize in 2000 and deactivated the 7th regiment to form two tactical squadrons: the 6th and 7th Tactical Fighter Squadrons, both located at the newly designated 33rd Tactical Air Base at Powidz. In 2002, the Polish Air Force selected the Lockheed Martin Block 52+ as its newest combat aircraft. Pilots and maintenance personnel selected to transition to the F-16 began their training in the United States, while the remaining 6th TFS Su-22 personnel became part of the 7th TFS. The 6th TFS moved to Poznan-Krzesiny Air Base to receive the newly trained F-16 personnel, while the 7th TFS remained at Powidz.
Poznan-Krzesiny Air Base officially became the 31st Tactical Air Base on 1 April 2008. F-16 pilots requested that previous 6th Attack Regiment squadron designations be used for the base. As such, the 3rd and 6th Fighter Squadrons are once again active within the Polish Air Force. The 3rd FS is tasked with Poland’s F-16 Basic Course training. The 6th FS is an operational combat squadron with a multi-role tasking. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Portuguese AF Full Member: Esquadra 301
The heritage and history of this Squadron began in November 1968 with the creation of the Portuguese Air Force 502 Squadron 'Jaguares', located in Nacala, Mozambique (AB5), flying the FIAT G91.
This Squadron received the jets from the 121 Squadron 'Tigres', which operated in Bissalanca, Guinea (AB12), since 1966. In October 1972 the Squadron was deactivated with some of the pilots and
jets being transferred to the 93 Squadron “Magníficos”, located in Luanda, Angola (AB9), replacing the Republic F-84G. In August 1974 the FIAT G 91's stationed in BA 5 and the ones from 121
Squadron (Tigres) from Bissalanca - Guinea were sent to BA 6 (Air Base 6) Montijo, forming the 62 Squadron which was organized in accordance with the NATO regulations. Later on the 502 Squadron
(Jaguares) from Nacala and the 702 (Escorpiões) from Tete, came from Mozambique to reinforce Squadron 62, giving place to today' patch and name "Jaguares." In 1978 the squadron was renumber to
301 the actual designation. At this time they were given the missions of Close Air Support, Battle Field Interdiction and Tactical Reconnaissance. On this same year the 301 Sqn participated for
the first time in the Tiger Meet in Belgium. Full Member since 1979 the 301 Squadron has already won the 'Silver Tiger' twice (1980/1985) keeping well alive the tiger spirit. In 1980 the Squadron
was able to detach some of it's G 91 R/3 to BA 4 located at Lajes - Azores. This detachment became later the 303 Squadron - Tigres were it operated for about 10 years. In 1987 the Nato Tiger Meet
was first hosted by the Jaguares at Montijo Air Base. On 19 April 1988, The Ministry of Defense awarded the 301 Squadron with the Distinguished Services Gold Medal – one of the highest ranking
medals ever given to a Portuguese Squadron. The G 91 made it's last official flight on June 27th 1993 having more that 75.000 flight hours with the Portuguese Air Force, and after that the
Squadron was moved to BA 11 in Beja and received the Alpha Jet. Since the first flight in Alpha Jet on October 6th 1993 the Squadron flew more than 20.000 hours, had participated in several NATO
exercises in Europe and hosted the NATO Tiger Meet in 1996 and in 2002. The last flight with the Alpha Jet took place in November 2005.
Later on the 25th that same month the Squadron was transfered to BA 5 - Monte Real when it assumed its role as the first F-16 Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU) Squadron in the Portuguese Air Force at AB5, Monte Real. Having been honored the distinction of flying the greatest jet ever in the Portuguese Air Force – the single seat, supersonic, multi-role, 9g F16 MLU – the 'Jaguares' have become the frontline All Weather, Day and Night, Air Defense, and Conventional Attack (Precision) Squadron. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Royal Netherlands AF Full Member: 313th Sqn.
313 Squadron was officially formed in 1953. However for a squadron with such a long history there is little to tell, for the Sqn was mostly an Operational Conversion Unit (OCU). They started of flying Lockheed T-33's on Volkel AB the planes used where on lone from the United States and where (unofficially) named JVS II. They where formed to give an operational training to Dutch Pilots who returned from a training in the United States. In 1958 the Sqn moved to Woensdrecht. Here the two Training Sqn's joined to form the JVO and on 01st January 1959, 313 Squadron was disbanded. The Squadron reformed in October 1972 at Twenthe AB, again as an OCU Sqn but now on the NF-5A Freedom Fighter. For the next years 313 Sqn was the only Training squadron in the RNLAF. September 1986 was the year where 316 Sqn took over the Training Role, and 313 Sqn became for the first time in there Career a fully operational Squadron on the Northrop NF-5A. The operational status came to an end in 1988 with the arrival of the F-16 Fighting Falcon By April 1990, 313 became operational again as an offensive and defensive Squadron. October 1990 was the month 313 changed their Squadron badge into a Tiger and became a member of Nato's Tiger Association. From 01st April 1994, 313 regained there training role as a Tactical Qualification Training (TQT). By the end of 2002 the squadron regained it's NATO operational standard. During 2004 the squadrons future looked quite dreary, when the decision was made to close 313 squadrons home-base Twente and disband it's 2 resident squadrons. Hope grew again when the decision was made to create a new squadron at Volkel AB. and only 2 day's after the disbandment of 313 Squadron at Twenthe it was raised from its aches at Volkel. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Royal Norwegian AF Full Member: 338 Skv.
338 Skvadron was formed at Sola, Stavanger on 15th February 1954 and is one of the youngest Squadrons in the Royal Norwegian Air Force. The Squadron was first equipped with the F-84G Thunderjet, and in October 1954 it was transferred to Orland Air Station, which since than has been it's permanent home. In June 1958, 338 Skvadron received its first F-86F Sabre jets. However it wasn't until the spring of 1960 that the transition was complete. 338 Skv flew the Sabre until 1966, when it re-equipped with the F-5 Freedom Fighter, an aircraft that was flown for 19 years, until the arrival of the General Dynamics F-16. When 336 Squadron disbanded, 338 inherited its tiger spirit, to ensure that Norway wouldn't los it's place within The NATO Tiger Association. In 2003 they became a full member. As part of the NATO Immediate Reaction Force the unit has been very busy flying missions over the Balkans and taking part in Operation Enduring Freedom. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Slovak AF Honorary Member: 1st Squadron
The History of the 1st Fighter Squadron from Sliac dates back to the end of 1992. Between October and December 1992 Slovak Air Force pilots underwent a conversion course on the MiG-29 Fulcrum. The course was held at Zatec AFB, in the former Czech and Slovak federal republic. This conversion unit was to become the foundation for the 1st Fighter Squadron. The first MiG's where transfered to Sliac AFB on December 9th, with the last one arriving on December 29th. On January 1st 1993 the first Fighter Regiment was formed, incorporating the 1st Fighter Squadron. On January 1st, 1995 the 1st FW was redesignated the 31st FW, and after another reorganisation in 2001 the 31st FW simply became Fighter Wing, retaining the 1st Squadron. In 2003 the 1st Fighter Squadron took part as observer during the Cambrai, France NATO Tiger Meet. The enthousiasme of the observers granted them a Honorary Membership status. In 2004 Slovakia became part of NATO, opening the path for a future full membership status. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Spanish AF Full Member: 142 Escuadrón
The History of the 142 Squadron of Ala (Wing) 14 starts back in 1980, when the Spanish Air Force received the first Mirage F-1M fighters. Stationed at Los Llanos AFB, near Albacete, they share their role with 141 Sqn. In 1986, 142 Escuadrón became a member of the NATO Tiger Community, and participated in the Tiger Meet for the first time. In June 2013 the Spanish Air Force officially retired their Mirage F-1M; 142 Escuadrón converted to the Eurofighter Typhoon. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Spanish AF Full Member: Ala 15
The 15th Wing (Ala 15) Was created on December 16, 1985. The Wing's Tiger However dates back to September 1956, with the formation of the 2nd Fighter wing, flying the F86-F Sabrejet. In July 1986
the first four EF-18 Hornets arrived with a direct flight from the USA. And the new 15th Wing became airborne. With from 1995 onwards 2 Fighter Squadrons and 1 Operational Conversion Squadron
under it's command.
Ala 15, together with Ala 12, had the honors to perform the longest Spanish Air Force deployment, from 1994 until 1999 the SpAF participated in the international Operations following the conflict in the former Yugoslav Republic, locally called operation 'ICARO'. Ala 15 Hornets perform a wide variety of tasks, including Air to Air, Air to Ground and SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defense) missions. The wing participated in a NATO Tiger Meet for the first time in 2006, hosted by that other SpAF Tiger Unit 142 Squadron from Albacete. During Ocean Tiger 2008 (NTM-2008) they where awarded Full NTA Membership status. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Swiss AF Full Member: Fliegerstaffel 11
The History of Fliegerstaffel 11 starts in the dark years of World War 2, when the Swiss Government decided to create an additional Wing in order to strengthen the air defence capabilities. Three squadrons were formed, one of them being the Staffel 11, equipped with Morane D-3801. After the World War II, the Staffel remained operational and soon , in 1949 the dawn of the jet age arrived in the form of the DH Vampire. In 1952 the Staffel 11 was reorganised and given the designation Fliegerstaffel 11. With the introduction of the Hawker Hunter in 1958, the Squadron role was extended to Air-to-Ground missions. Having now flown the F-5E since 1979 the unit's main role is to provide air superiority at low and medium altitudes, while interception remains its secondary function. Being a part of the Swiss Air Force Professional Aviators Corps, Fliegerstaffel 11 is one of the few professional Squadrons of the Swiss Air Force and operates in peacetime from Meiringen airbase. The Squadron transferred to the F/A-18 Hornet in 1999. During the NATO Tiger Meet 2004 at Schleswig-Jagel Fliegerstaffel 11 was awarded full membership of the NATO Tiger Association. Something that was not that evident, since Switzerland is not a member of the NATO alliance. (credits www.natotigers.org)
Turkish AF Full Member: 192 Filo
192 Filo (192nd Squadron) was established in 1948 as 102 Fighter Bombing Squadron at Balikesir, Turkey, operating the P-47 Thunderbolt. They adopted the Tiger in their patch in 1950. In 1952 the Squadron was named 192 Filo and receives the F-84. Between 1952 and 1970 they flew the F-84 F/G and the RF-84 F Thunderstreak, in Attack and Reconnaissance missions. The RF-5 were flown between 1970 and 1975. September 1976 they converted to the F-104 Starfighter, with the mission of defending the Turkish air space. They get more responsibilities, between 1984 and 1988, when they became one of the "All Weather" Squadrons assigned to NATO. March 1993, 40x F-16 C/D arrived at Balikesir, and the squadron got the Air-to-Ground task, added to their mission. 192 Squadron became a member of NATO Tiger Society in 1980, and has organized and hosted a Mini-Tiger Meet in 1995 in Balikesir. In 1994 and 1997, 192 Filo was deployed to Italy to take part in the peacekeeping operations over Bosnia. (credits www.natotigers.org)